How to Buy
Please Read Carefully
Revised 10 December 2018
This Manifold User Community Use Agreement (the "Agreement") provides important information about your use of Manifold Community sites, the georeference.org site and any other forums or online communities (the "Site" or "site") provided on the manifold.net or georeference.org or related domains or by any companies or individuals serving, maintaining, managing, administering, funding, controlling or operating the manifold.net or georeference.org or related domains or by any of their officers, directors, shareholders, parents, agents, contractors, joint ventures, affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors, owners and employees (hereafter "Manifold"). You should read it, understand it, and consider printing a reference copy as you use the Site.
You must be at least 16 years old to post to the Site. If you are over 16 years old but have not yet reached the age of majority, you must have your parent or guardian’s permissions to post to the Site. If you are under 18 years old, never reveal any personal information.
Acceptance of Terms through Use
Agreement to Rules of User Conduct
Your Responsibilities: You agree to abide by Manifold's Rules of User Conduct, including but not limited to, agreeing not to use this site for any unlawful purpose. By posting information on or otherwise using this site, you agree that you will not upload, post, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any content -- including text, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other content or information -- that:
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, false, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, contains explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals), uses vulgar language or imagery in the creation of a screen name, login, avatar, signature or other content or otherwise violates Manifold rules or policies or these Rules of User Conduct;
- infringes on any patent, trademark, copyright, right of publicity, or other proprietary right, or discloses trade secrets or other confidential information;
- victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, disability or military status;
- contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any data or other information of any third party;
- constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail (also known as "Spamming"), chain letters, any other form of unauthorized solicitation, or any form of lottery or gambling; or
- impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of Manifold.
You further agree that you will not knowingly post, solicit or collect personal information from a minor (anyone under 18 years old). Personal information includes but is not limited to name, address, phone number or name of their school.
You also agree that you will not harvest or collect or use information about the users or members of this site for any purpose, such as, by way of example and not limitation, for the purpose of transmitting or facilitating transmission of unsolicited bulk electronic e-mail or communications.
This Site is a Venue
This site serves as a venue through which users can discuss, ask questions, share, and learn from each other. Because we are a venue, in the event that you have a dispute with one or more users, you release Manifold (and our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, contractors, joint ventures, shareholders, parents, affiliates, licensors, owners and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
Information, opinions and other content posted on this site are solely those of the member posting such content and are in no way validated, nor endorsed by Manifold (this includes content posted by our administrators, moderators, employees and other Manifold Forums staff). Manifold is under no obligation to pre-screen, monitor, or edit the content posted by users of this site, and Manifold assumes no responsibility or liability arising from content provided by any user (including liability for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger, or inaccuracy). Notwithstanding the foregoing, Manifold and its agents have the right at their sole discretion to remove any content that, in Manifold's sole discretion, does not comply with the Rules of User Conduct or is otherwise harmful, objectionable, or inaccurate.
Any user who feels that posted content is objectionable is encouraged to contact a site administrator via a private email sent to the posted email address for site administration. Manifold is not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such content. In any event, Manifold makes no warranty to you that it will edit, remove, or continue to permit the display of any specific content, whether or not subject to such allegations, and Manifold will have no liability whatsoever for editing, removing, or continuing to permit the display of any content whatsoever.
Use of Content
For content you post or otherwise provide to Manifold via this site, you grant Manifold permission to:
- use, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate and reformat your content, and
- sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. Manifold will not pay you for your content. Manifold may remove your content at any time. For each content posted, you represent that you have all rights necessary for you to make the grants in this section. You agree that your posted content is not confidential, and Manifold may disclose your content to any law enforcement authorities or to any third party in the event Manifold believes in its sole and exclusive determination such disclosure is necessary for purposes of ensuring your compliance with these Rules of User Conduct or protecting the rights, property, and interests of Manifold.
This Agreement contains important protections, such as disclaimers of liability and warranties, that must be preserved. No person may use the content on this site except by visiting this site or by linking to this site in a manner that maintains notice of and agreement to this Agreement. Content from this site may not be reprinted, republished, combined with other volumes, harvested or otherwise utilized outside of viewing on this site, except that technical advice, snippets of code and other technical content may be used provided such use is in agreement with indemnity, limitation of liability, disclaimer of warranty and other provisions of this Agreement.
By way of example and not limitation, you may not collect the contributions on this site into a book you will sell, but you may utilize snippets of SQL contributed in threads in your own work so long as the disclaimer of warranties and other provisions are observed (don't sue anybody if the SQL doesn't work), and you may cite a thread in your blog via a URL to this site.
Disclaimer of Warranty
THIS SITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITH NO WARRANTY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, MANIFOLD DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, ACCURACY, OR THE IMPLIED CONDITION OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING OR COURSE OF PERFORMANCE.
MANIFOLD DOES NOT WARRANT, OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS THAT: (A) THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (B) THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE; (C) THE RESULTS OR INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE WEB SITE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; (D) THE QUALITY OF ANY INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS; OR (E) THE SITE OR MATERIAL ACCESSIBLE THROUGH THE SITE IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF YOU RELY ON ANY INFORMATION OR CONTENT ON THE SITE, YOU DO SO SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. SOME STATES AND JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF ANY OF THESE LIMITATIONS DO NOT APPLY TO YOU THEN YOU AGREE NOT TO USE THIS SITE.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Manifold, its officers, directors, shareholders, parents, agents, contractors, affiliates, subsidiaries, joint ventures, licensors, owners and employees, from any and all damages, costs, claims, losses, expenses, or liabilities arising from or related to any use you make of this site or to any actual or alleged violation by you of these Rules of User Conduct.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL MANIFOLD OR ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, OWNERS, PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, JOINT VENTURES, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, LICENSORS OR AGENTS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION UNDER CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE RULES OF USER CONDUCT INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION: (A) YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE; (B) YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY CONTENT ON THE SITE; OR (C) ANY CONTENT POSTED BY ANY USER ON THIS SITE; EVEN IF MANIFOLD OR ANY RELATED PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL MANIFOLD'S LIABILITY TO YOU, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED $50.
SOME STATES AND JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS LIMITATION AND EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF THIS LIMITATION AND EXCLUSION DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU THEN YOU AGREE NOT TO USE THIS SITE.
Interference with the Site
If you fail to abide by these terms Manifold may remove any content you have posted without notice to you, and may place your user access to this site into temporary or permanent suspension of your ability to participate or subject to moderation or other controls. If after such such suspension you attempt to persist in posting Manifold may use all available means to enforce such suspension including termination of any licenses or services issued to you. If you post or send offensive or inappropriate content anywhere on or to the Site or otherwise engage in any disruptive behavior which Manifold considers in its sole and exclusive judgement to be serious and/or repeated, Manifold may use all available information about you to stop any further infringements, disruptions, interference or participation. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school, Internet service provider, or law enforcement authorities of the infringement.
Manifold reserves the right to delete any content, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason.
Except as provided herein, these terms and conditions are governed by the laws of Hong Kong including any conflicts of laws principles that may provide for the application of the laws of another state and each party hereby consents to exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in Hong Kong.
These Rules of User Conduct express the complete understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supercedes all prior and contemporaneous communications and agreements, written or oral, regarding this site. If any provision of these Rules of User Conduct or portion thereof is held invalid or unenforceable, such provision or portion thereof shall be deemed severed, and the remainder of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. The failure by Manifold to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of the Rules of User Conduct by you or others will not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right of Manifold. You may not assign or transfer these Rules of User Conduct or any rights hereunder, and any attempt to the contrary is void. The Rules of User Conduct will inure to the benefit of Manifold and its successors and assigns. Section headings used in this document are for convenience only and do not have any legal effect.
You agree that Manifold may, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately terminate your access to this site. You agree that all terminations for cause shall be made in Manifold's sole discretion and that Manifold shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to this site. Cause for such termination shall include, but not be limited to,
- breaches or violations of these Rules of User Conduct,
- requests by law enforcement or other government agencies,
- a request by you,
- discontinuance or material modification to this site (or any part thereof), and
- unexpected technical or security issues or problems.
This site may be moderated by both Manifold as well as by third party moderators such as agents or other users designated by Manifold, and we request that you please be respectful when interacting with our moderating team. Although Manifold employees may participate on this site, this site is intended only as a way for visitors to get answers from other visitors, and not to get answers from Manifold. Although Manifold employees MAY occasionally offer help or suggestions, when you post a problem or a request for help, it will most likely be other Manifold customers or users who respond however they choose at whatever level they are able, according to their own experience and level of technical expertise and personal interests.
The following rules provide baseline guidance, almost all of which is simple common sense and courtesy. Please observe all of the following rules:
- Stay on topic. - The site is here to help people use published Manifold products and technologies more effectively. Do not post messages that do not have a technical focus on published Manifold products and reasonably related technologies. For example, do not post messages including:
- Commentary, advice or opinions on religion, sex, social matters, politics, pop culture, legal matters, finance, medicine and other non-Manifold topics or links to other sites.
- Advice or commentary of a professionally regulated nature, such as advice on how to conform to an electrical code in home construction, interpretation of a pharmaceutical instruction for a medicine or the meaning of a term in a legal agreement.
- Reports of or discussions of licensing or other business policies of other companies or organizations. Mention a concern you might have if it is directly relevant to a technical matter but please do not cross the line into reporting on legal, licensing or financial matters. Let those other companies or organizations speak for themselves.
- Discussions of Manifold administrative or business policies or procedures or speculation on Manifold decisions, confidential Manifold plans or other topics not directly related to use of published Manifold products and technologies. Contact Manifold admins or published Manifold channels directly for any required information.
- Post constructive comments and questions. - To help people use Manifold products and technologies more effectively most messages will be either a technical question or a technical answer. Constructive feedback and discussion about product features is welcome as well and highly encouraged. However, if your posting contains the phrase “I’m sorry for the rant, but…” you should rewrite it more constructively to be sure it follows this guideline.
- Tell the truth. - Always tell the truth. Should go without saying, right? Do not misrepresent what someone else said in a private communication or on another website, or in any other way provide false information.
- Be responsible for your choices. - Accept responsibility for the choices you have made without blaming anyone or anything else. Obfuscation caused by attempts to blame others for the consequences of your own decisions usually accomplishes nothing but to reduce your credibility and to make it more difficult for others to help you. For example, if you have turned off this forum's protections against spam do not rant about how suddently the forum appears filled with spam. If you have chosen not to follow the advice to Read The Fine Manual do not complain a feature is "too hard" to use - the problem is usually not the feature but your choice not to RTFM. Take responsibility for that and instead acknowledge you haven't had the time to RTFM as much as you should - everyone knows that feeling! So long as you don't make it a habit other participants will help you get past an occasional RTFM lapse.
- No flaming. - Do not post content with no relevant value other than to incite a controversial reaction or to dial up heat. This includes topics directed at Manifold competitors and/or Manifold partners' competitors, or any specific persons, companies or other entities. Most often, a "flame" is simply a statement that is taunting and thus arbitrarily inflammatory. However, this also includes those which are libelous, defamatory, indecent, harmful, harassing, intimidating, threatening, hateful, objectionable, discriminatory, abusive, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, or offensive in a sexual, racial, cultural, national, religious or ethnic context.
- Be polite. - Do not insult or use obscene language. Be respectful to other members.
- No "ad hominem" attacks. - An "ad hominem" attack is a criticism of a person instead of the person's words. If you find yourself commenting on a person instead of discussing the technical content of what he or she has written, you have probably crossed the line. For example, if someone posts technical commentary regarding use of a DBMS with Manifold and you reply with "That's all completely wrong because you do not understand how a DBMS works," that is disallowed because you are criticizing the person and are not discussing the technical problem. A constructive response would be one that discussed the relevant technical details of how the DBMS works and refrained from comments about the other person's understanding.
- Respect the volunteer community. - Participants on this site are volunteers. They may not respond promptly, or at all, to a posting seeking help. Please respect the voluntary nature of the Manifold user community:
- Do not post demands or other posts that indicate an expectation someone must respond to you. If you require technical support on a non-volunteer basis, utilize paid technical support products listed in the Manifold support page or hire a consultant.
- Do not ask for support from a specific participant by name. For example do not start a new thread with "Dear JohnQExpert, can you write some SQL for me that will..." Instead ask the entire community using words such as "Does anybody know how to..."
- Please do not attempt to emphasize your subject over others or to force attention to your posting. Use normal text for subject lines. Do not use ALL CAPS, do not use strings of characters like many exclamation points or text "art." Please keep subject text short enough to fit on one line.
- Do not use the word "bug" in a subject line unless you have been notified by Manifold tech support you have found a bug. This is like shouting "fire" in a crowded place and unfairly forces everyone else's attention to what most often is not a bug. (Over 99% of bug reports are not bugs. Most are elementary errors.)
- Subject lines should accurately summarize the content of your post. For example, please do not start a thread with the subject line "New European GeoData" when your posting ask for technical assistance operating a GPS device.
- Please choose an editor for composing posts that will not inflict text noise on other participants. If you make a posting and it is full of strange text items that are not part of the plain text of your posting, please immediately edit the posting to remove the extraneous material.
- Search prior threads to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Review applicable topics in the user manual.
- Do not strike an aggressive tone such as "I can see in other threads nobody will answer questions like this so I don't expect an answer now..." This indicates an expectation someone must answer you and is disrespectful to the volunteer community.
- Review the FAQs. If your question is so frequent it appears in a FAQ, do not overuse the generosity of volunteers by asking it again in a new thread.
- Post reasonable information about the software you are using, your computer system, what topics you've read in the user manual and prior threads you've consulted and what you are trying to accomplish when asking for help. Read the FAQ entry on recommended information to provide. Providing basic info makes it easier for volunteers to respond. Do not just dump pages and pages of output from some information tool: read the FAQ entry and provide that information.
- Post all info in your post. Do not ask readers to drill into links you post to find out what you are talking about or important info. Other participants may not have the time to chase links or they may not want to agree to the terms and conditions required to participate in other sites to read the content your links point to.
- Post in the appropriate section of the site For example, do not ask non-scripting questions in the Scripting section.
- Please write in English. This helps everyone in the community to participate using a language most people in computing have in common.
- Test your answer. - When possible, make sure any answer you provide to a technical question works on your own computer before you post it. If you don't have a chance to do so, make clear in your posting that you have not tried the answer. If you make a contribution on the edge of your expertise, make clear you are not sure of the advice offered.
- Post commentary where you have personal expertise. - Do not offer technical advice in areas where you do not have the required skills, education and experience to contribute accurate comments. Self-appointed "experts" who offer bad advice or inaccurate technical information greatly reduce the value of a technical forum. Even well-meaning people who do not claim to be experts might inadvertently post bad info. Do not pass on material from somewhere else on the web unless you have the personal technical expertise to know for sure that it is accurate in all respects. Admins at times may remove egregiously misleading information and may even may restrict access by people who publish technical misinformation. However, the nature of user forums is that some such misinformation will always be missed. Do not rely upon admins or other participants to filter out bad info - take with a grain of salt any technical advice or comments from other participants.
- No spamming. - Do not clutter the boards with useless or off-topic posts. Posts asking for money or fundraising or recommending donations, sponsorships or other consideration are spam. Sensible invitations to join in projects directly involving Manifold or notices of expenses incidental to events are not spam. OK example: "I'm working on an addin to ... Anybody interested in joining me on this please contact me at..." OK example: "Manifold users in the Tri City area will be getting together this Friday at Le Grill steakhouse. The restaurant's room rental charge will be $10 per person." Not OK example: "If at least ten people send me $100 each I will write an addin that...".
- Do not try to organize movements, or post polls or petitions or links to same. - This site has a focus on products, not on demographic research or movement organizing. Let people make their own decisions about what movements they want to support or join.
- This board is made available for discussion of Manifold products, services and websites. - Excessive postings advocating or suggesting the use of a competitor's products, services or websites are deemed inappropriate and we reserve the right to edit/delete such posts/threads at our discretion.
- No advertising. - Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising. Although there are times when a link to another site is necessary for helping or answering a question, Manifold reserves the right to determine what is and is not advertising. This is not your personal "for sale" board to advertise items. As well, the following are not allowed:
- A submission created solely to advertise a book, service, software or some other item for sale.
- Any reference, including a link, to a commercial item that is not directly related to a relevant technical question or answer. For example: “This post created by Super Post Creator.”
- Any reference, including any posted URL, in a posting that results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, unless either this is obvious from your posting, such as when a consultant replies to a posting seeking paid help, or if not obvious, you note your interest in your post by stating, “I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.”
- No multiple accounts. - Each individual is limited to one user account, unless otherwise authorized by Manifold admin staff. If you are a corporate user, we will allow a second account for personal use.
- Do not impersonate other individuals. - Do not impersonate others and do not falsely represent yourself. Do not impersonate Manifold personnel or forums staff.
- Do not post personal information. - Do not post personal information about any other individual (for example, by way of example and not limitation: addresses, phone numbers, passwords, or any other private information) without the express, prior permission of the individual.
- Not a communications channel to Manifold. - These forums are not communications channels to Manifold for any sales, admin, business, or support contacts of any kind with Manifold. If you have any such business with Manifold, please contact Manifold directly using the appropriate sales or technical support channel. If you find yourself composing a posting that is directed at Manifold personnel the forum is the wrong channel for that. See the Manifold website for contact information and communications channels you should be using. The forum is not an alternate communications channel to Manifold, especially not if you, your email administrator or your providers have misconfigured your email system so you cannot communicate directly with Manifold - see the email problems page on the Manifold website for how to resolve such problems.
- The forum is self-supported / No tech support - Manifold does not support this forum. Admins are volunteers who do not support the forum. By using this forum you agree not to contact Manifold or admins for any support regarding this forum. People who contact Manifold seeking support for this forum, and also people who contact forum admins seeking support or contacts for Manifold, may find their access discontinued by forum admins and may automatically be debited a support token by Manifold. If you have any questions about how to use this forum, ask other participants in this forum as provided by these terms. The forum works fine with a wide variety of browsers given default Windows configurations. If by reading published information on how to use this forum you cannot figure out how to ask a question in the forum or otherwise work the forum, get help from a more technically skilled friend or colleague: That is something you must sort out without assistance from forum admins. If you have lost your password and the automatic means to get it back did not work, register again with a new user name.
- Keep within the Law. - This site has zero tolerance for illegality. By way of example and not limitation:
- No material may be submitted that is intended to promote or commit an illegal act.
- Do not submit software or descriptions of processes that break or otherwise ‘work around’ digital rights management software or hardware. This includes conversations about ‘cracked’ software of any kind or working around copy protection software used in Manifold or any other software.
- Do not post defamatory material.
- No discussions involving copy protection. - To ensure participants attempting to pirate software from any company are not assisted this site does not allow anyone to engage in any discussion or to provide advice or opinions on copy protection mechanisms, such as activation, used by any company. The sole exception is for non-specific discussions reporting whether a routine upgrade such as installation of a Windows update or new Windows version requires new activation. Note that a legitimate Manifold licensee can obtain support on activation issues through licensed channels, for example, directly from Manifold.
- Respect licenses and intellectual property. - This site has zero tolerance for violations of licensed intellectual property of any person or company. By way of example and not limitation:
- No material may be submitted that is confidential material or licensed material. For example, do not post serial numbers or other keys for your own licenses or other people's licenses.
- Do not post software or other licensed material, such as fonts or clip art or portions of software, which is not totally in the public domain. Note that materials licensed under GNU terms or many other "open" forms of licensing are not in the public domain. In general if some intellectual property, such as software, is covered by a copyright or has any license or agreement involved for access it is not in the public domain. Intellectual property placed into the public domain generally has only one sentence involved, such as "I hereby place this software into the public domain." That's it. Any other requirements such as free use only for noncommercial applications or other limitations means the intellectual property is not in the public domain.
- Do not post material that violates confidences or that seeks to get others to violate confidences. For example, do not post material covered by an NDA agreement between you and a company such as Microsoft, Oracle, ESRI, Apple or Manifold, or material you have obtained that is covered by someone else's NDA agreement. Do not ask others to provide you with confidential information to which they have access but you do not.
- If you do not own the copyright, do not post or utilize copyrighted material. Do not infringe upon the trade dress or other intellectual property protections afforded persons and organizations under law or generally accepted custom in civilized countries.
- No self-appointed admins. - Polite, short reminders of these rules to other participants are OK, but please, no vigilante actions such as threadjacking or harrassing posts. If anyone is not following these guidelines, please notify an admin at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will take whatever corrective action they deem required. If you do not agree with that corrective action or lack thereof, do not go around the admin's decision.
- Oversight may be applied. - Manifold reserves the right to modify or delete any posting, profile, and/or signature for any reason, without prior notification or explanation and to otherwise supervise this forum, for example, by limiting access of participants who do not follow these rules. If you are contacted by an admin with a courtesy notice or any other contact, keep in mind that admins are normally volunteers who are not Manifold employees. Do not abuse their generosity in volunteering to help the community stay productive. For example, an admin contacting you is not volunteering to assist you with support, business communications or advice on correct operation and participation in this forum or to argue with you why something you posted is disallowed content. If you disagree with an admin's decision your sole recourse is to not participate in these forums.
- Valid Email Address Required. - You don't have to provide an email address visible to the public, but the registration email in your profile must be a valid email address capable of receiving email messages from email@example.com. Please update your email address in your profile if you change email addresses. Admins may use the email address in your profile to contact you regarding your participation in the forum. If the email address is not valid, your participation in the forum may be immediately limited or discontinued. The usual problem is the recipient's email system has been misconfigured in some way so it fails to deliver the courtesy notice.
- Avoid email problems. - Manifold has a great page on typical email problems that may help resolve such problems. Of course, the sort of blockhead who doesn't honor rules and who also is clueless about email reception is the last sort of person who will utilize such helpful pages, but you can't blame Manifold for trying!
- Getting on the blacklist. - It's not easy to get on the system blacklist - people really have to work at it. Egregious violations may result in an immediate ban. In case of a routine brain fade, a courtesy notice usually is sent as a friendly reminder, providing a limited time to confirm these rules have been read and will be honored. The number one reason people are surprised to find themselves on the system blacklist is they have been sent a courtesy notice and they have failed to respond. The resultant ban arises from failure to respond to an important administrative notice and not from the initial infraction, which may be minor. Please maintain a valid email address in your profiles so admins can contact you to avoid such problems.
Signature and Avatar Rules
Please note that these signature rules apply whether your signature images are uploaded to the site or linked from another web server.
- Your entire signature should fit inside a 500 x 150 (width x height) pixel area. This means no long lines of text. This space is equivalent to 8 lines of size 2 text.
- We do not allow linking or advertisements in signature images. We will allow a small text link to your website (font [size=2] or smaller).
- Your signature and avatar must not contain any offensive or objectionable material.
- Signatures and avatars must be in English.
If certain buzz words leave you scratching your head, here's some insight to what these words mean.
- Discussion — An extended, public conversation about a particular topic or issue in a bulletin board-like format.
- Forum — A collection of items that are relevant to one particular topic, such as discussions, FAQs, and links to support articles about a particular application. Forums may also consist of subsections on the Manifold User Community site.
- Post — "Posting" is the act of submitting a message. A post is essentially a message from a member that appears in any discussions forum. A post can be a new topic or a reply to a message. Discussions or threads are comprised of an original message that's posted about a topic and the replies posted in response.
- Thread — A thread is the series of replies posted in response to the original topic. This comes from the expression, "following the thread of a conversation."
- Threadjack — To wrongly post a dissimilar issue in an existing discussion, distracting from the true focus of the discussion. If your issue has any significant difference from a similar topic, then you're probably better off posting a new topic to focus attention on your particular issue.
- Topic — A topic is the subject matter of a particular thread or discussion, as set by the member who posts the original message to start that particular discussion.
- Troll — A troll is someone who strives to disrupt a constructive conversation by posting flames or specious arguments. Trolls sometimes impersonate another user by posting under a false user name. If you have a troll in your midst, let Manifold know by using the published contact info to reach an admin for this site.
- FAQ — An acronym for "Frequently Asked Questions." A FAQ is a section of the forum where admins and possibly user community members have provided answers to questions that are frequently asked.
Manifold products deliver quality, performance and value in the world's most sophisticated, most modern and most powerful spatial engineering products. Total integration ensures unbeatably low cost of ownership. Tell your friends!