How to Buy
Products are Licensed, Not Sold
All Manifold®: software is
In addition, by acquiring Manifold products through the Online Store or by any other means you agree to the additional terms and conditions and procedures of sale. The terms and conditions include important provisions and helpful information. Please read them carefully to be sure you agree with them. Do not acquire Manifold products if you do not agree.
Two Types of Licenses
Radian Studio is licensed as a desktop application. Manifold System GIS can be used either as a desktop application similar to how desktop applications like Microsoft Word are used, or Manifold can be installed on a web server to GIS-enable web sites using Manifold IMS (Internet Map Server) capabilities built into all Manifold editions except Personal Edition. In both cases, every machine that runs Manifold software must have a Manifold software license.
All Manifold licenses are licensed and copy protected using one of two mechanisms:
- Standalone licenses, authorized using a Serial number and Activation keys that locks each license to a single computer system. This is similar to how Microsoft Word and other such applications are typically licensed. Manifold GIS licenses acquired in smaller quantities or acquired for use on portable devices use this mechanism. Standalone licenses are generally fully paid licenses with no expiration. A 30 Day Lease product is available that allows leasing a standalone Manifold System Universal x64 license for 30 days. Radian Studio is licensed only as a standalone license.
- Floating licenses, for Manifold System GIS authorized using a Manifold License Server. Manifold System GIS licenses acquired in larger quantities will frequently use this mechanism, which requires licensing of the Manifold System License Server product. For details on License Server please see the Manifold System License Server topic in the online version of Help. Radian Studio is not available in floating licenses.
Highlights of Standalone Licenses
For a precise statement of licensing terms and conditions, please carefully read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), which regulates the license agreement granted users. The following points provide informal guidance to guide users, but do not in any way replace the legal meaning and controlling impact of the EULA.
- One machine, one license, one user - Each machine that runs Manifold software or any part of Manifold software requires its own, unique Manifold software license. A single Manifold software license may not be time shared onto remote machines or terminals. This is similar to how most consumer licenses for Microsoft Office operate. For example, if you want to run Microsoft Word on five machines you must have five licenses for Microsoft Word, one for each machine, so that each of your five users can run Manifold software on their machine. The one exception to this rule is that a Manifold software licensee may install Manifold software both on one desktop machine and also on a portable computer used principally by the licensee so long as Manifold software is not run on both machines at the same time. You cannot install one Manifold software license on one machine and then try to time-share that license (using Microsoft Terminal Server or similar technology) so that more than one remote user can run Manifold software.
- No Annual Fee - With the sole exception of the 30 Day Lease product Manifold software licenses are fully paid licenses and are not annual rentals. Once a license has been installed and activated it will continue running forever until a major system change to the machine (major hardware change) or major system software change (new Windows edition installed, roll-back to before installation, etc.) requires use of a new Activation key. A license is a license for five Activation keys. The sole exception is the reduced price, 30 Day Lease product which provides a Universal x64 license for a limited time period of 30 days, after which the license can no longer be used. The lease is convenient for short term projects or for a "try before you buy" in-depth evaluation.
- No Maintenance Fees - No maintenance fee is required; however, Manifold software licenses specifically exclude technical support. Technical support products are available for a modest fee. It has been Manifold tradition to provide updates/service packs within the same Manifold software release level at no charge. For example, updates for Release 7x were provided at no charge. Provision of such updates has been a tradition but may or may not be continued into the future. A Manifold software license grants no right to automatic, free access to any service packs or updates.
- Licenses do not include technical support - A Manifold software license does not include technical support or free access to any bug fixes. Technical support products may be acquired for a fee. Although it has been Manifold tradition to provide bug fixes at no charge within published updates for a given release level (for example, free updates to 7x and then later free updates to 8.00), some bugs in a given release will not be fixed except within a new, replacement release, which may require a fee to acquire. For example, some 7x bugs were not corrected until Release 8.00. Upgrading from 7x to 8.00 required a fee.
- Budget for New Release Upgrade Offers - When a major new Manifold product release is published by tradition Manifold has offered for a limited time that new release to licensees of the previous release at a discount. For example, Release 8.00 was offered to licensees of Release 7x for an upgrade fee of $50 during the first 30 days after the publication of Release 8.00. Upgrading a 7x license to Release 8.00 acquired a new serial number and five more activations. Licensees are advised to budget approximately $100 per license to take advantage of low-cost upgrade offers to assure they have the latest, most improved release.
- Copy protection - Manifold software is copy protected using a serial number and Activation key system. A license to use Manifold software enables usage only within the copy protection system. Any attempt to circumvent the copy protection system terminates the license. Any disclosure of your serial number or an Activation key on a public forum will terminate the license. Keep your serial number and Activation keys confidential to assure that your license rights are not terminated due to disclosure by someone else.
- One license, five re-installations - A Manifold softwarelicense is a license to use the serial number issued for that license to install and activate Manifold software on a single machine. Each serial number may be used to fetch five Activation keys, allowing an initial installation on a machine and then, in case of need due to hardware failure or system upgrades, up to four more re-installations. Normally, if the Manifold software license is honored and Manifold software is installed on a single system five Activation keys are plenty. After the first year Licensees can get extra Activation keys on a limited basis once a year, and users can take advantage of low-cost upgrades every year or so to upgrade to the next major release and thus get a fresh serial number and five more activations.
- Additional Activation Keys - Some users will run licenses for extremely long spans of time, perhaps in the case of a runtime license embedded in a legacy application that runs well and will not be replaced. Other users may have exceptionally bad luck with disk drives or hardware. To assist with such needs Manifold software provides additional activations in two forms: automatic free additional activations and manually purchased additional activations via the $100 Extra Activation Keys product available in the Online Store product list Services section. One year after issuance each Manifold software serial number automatically gains the ability to get one more activation key, if requested.
- Extra Activation Keys Product - If automatic addition of a key per year does not suffice, beginning one year after a serial number is issued users may purchase two additional activation keys via the Extra Activation Keys product for the current edition of Manifold software once ever year thereafter. This enables even very old Manifold software licenses to continue being used despite the passage of many years or despite equipment failures or Windows upgrades. See the Additional Activation Keys page for details.
- Five keys do not license five systems - The five activation key that a serial number can fetch do not authorize use on five different systems. They are provided to enable re-installation, if need be, on the single licensed system in case of hardware failure or Windows upgrades. Installing Manifold software on multiple systems will terminate the license when simultaneous usage on multiple systems is detected by the auto-revocation copy protection system.
- Extra keys do not authorize extra users - If acquired, each additional activation key does not authorize an extra user. It simply authorizes a re-installation for the same single user in the event of a hard disk crash or other required re-installation. If you use extra activation keys to attempt to use the same serial number to run Manifold software on more than one machine by more than one user at the same time, sooner or later Manifold will detect a licensing violation and your serial number will be revoked and you will lose all licensing rights.
- Unlimited Academic usage not authorized - Some academic users think that the availability of an Academic License donation program means they can buy a commercial Manifold software license and use it on as many machines as they like. This is very wrong and will result in revocation of the commercial license and the institution being "tagged" as a software pirate, resulting in denial of any subsequent applications for an Academic license grant. Academic users interested in the possibility of donations should see the Academic licensing page.
- Virtual Machines are Separate Machines - Attempting to install a single Manifold software serial number on more than one virtual machine will normally trigger the auto-revocation feature (given enough time) because it is likely that more than one virtual machine will be active at the same time. Manifold GIS licenses may be installed on a virtual machine provided that a separate license is acquired for each such virtual machine; however, the right way to do that is to use License Server technology and floating licenses because standalone licenses will almost invariably be wasted in virtualization environments as virtual machines are created and discarded.
- Fail safe uses not authorized - Manifold software is not licensed for any uses in which the failure of the personal computer software technology employed will risk life, health, property or the environment in case of failure. Note: This exclusion does not apply to weaponized Manifold software licensed through Manifold Military Systems Division licenses.
- Proof of licensing - Possession of a serial number is proof of licensing status. There is no need to update a license record. For discussion and examples of how serial numbers confer license status and are used to resolve any disputes, such as between partners, please see the Maintaining Your Manifold License topic in the online version of the user manual.
- Runtime Licenses - Runtime licenses are standalone licenses for versions of either Professional Edition or Universal Edition that contain the full API of those editions but without the console GUI. Runtime licenses are used by programmers and web developers to deploy applications they have created using the API. Runtime licenses are not available as floating licenses.
Highlights of License Server Licenses
For details on License Server please see the Manifold System License Server topic in the online version of Help. Note that the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) also applies. The following points provide informal guidance to guide users, but do not in any way replace the legal meaning and controlling impact of the EULA.
- Simplified Administration - License Server allows installation of Manifold software on an unlimited number of machines within your licensed organization without needing to keep track of serial numbers or activation keys for each individual machine. When users launch Manifold GIS on an individual machine the License Server will be consulted to see if a floating license is available. If not all floating licenses are in use, authorization will be granted and Manifold will launch.
- Simplified Deployment - License Server allows Manifold GIS licenses to be deployed using automated means, disk ghosting and similar methods for mass installations. It is also a perfect solution for utilizing Manifold GIS licenses within virtualization environments so that individual, per-machine activations are not used up as virtual machines come and go.
- Large Savings - Floating licenses provide outstanding savings for large organizations. Consider an organization where 500 users might from time to time need to do GIS on their desktops but where experience shows that rarely more than 80 or so users will actually be doing GIS at any one time. Procuring License Server loaded with 100 floating licenses will be much less costly than using standalone licenses.
- Base price for License Server - A License Server license is $495 exclusive of the cost of floating licenses. A License Server installation will cost $495 plus the cost of however many floating licenses are desired. For example, a License Server loaded with 100 Universal x64 floating licenses will be $495 + $24500 = $24995. Quantity discounts do not apply to floating licenses. Runtime licenses are not available as floating licenses. Please see the Products page for current pricing.
- Dedicated IIS Machine - License Server operates as a web service within your local intranet using HTML protocol. To operate License Server, you must provide a Windows machine running IIS to host the License Server. You may not serve floating licenses outside your immediate licensed organization.
- Dedicated Licensing - Each License Server machine can host a single Manifold System GIS edition. For example, if you would like to administer 100 Universal x64 licenses and 10 Professional x64 licenses you will need two License Server licenses (at $495 each) and two License Server machines.
- No Minimums - Although License Server installations are normally loaded with a significant number of floating licenses to serve the needs of larger organizations, there is no minimum required number of floating licenses. Many customers have procured a License Server license loaded with just one or two floating licenses. The usual reason is that the organization employs one or two GIS experts who require the convenience of working on any machine in the organization. Even with the initial cost of License Server, the combination is still much lower in cost than even a single license of old-fashioned GIS software.
- Easy Procurement and Growth - License Server installations are prepaid by check or wire transfer. Please contact email@example.com for procurement information. Once a License Server installation has been procured, additional floating licenses of that same type may be easily added.
A Cost-Effective Growth Strategy
Organizations will often begin work with Manifold GIS using standalone licenses, most often Universal Edition. As Manifold usage increases, organizations will often decide to step up to a License Server installation to use Manifold more widely by taking advantage of floating licenses. Organizations which step up to License Server almost inevitably will also need some standalone licenses for portable computer usage, so the initial standalone licenses won't be wasted: those standalone licenses will be moved to laptop computers when the organization's desktops begin using floating licenses administered by License Server.
Manifold IMS Usage
When Manifold GIS is installed on a web server, Manifold GIS capabilities can be invoked from a web application to GIS-enable that web application. Please see the Internet Map Server page for details on IMS. In addition to the above comments, the following highlights apply:
- One license per web server - To run Manifold IMS you only need a single Manifold GIS license per web server machine, no matter how many processors are employed by that web server and no matter how many web applications are resident on that web server machine.
- Unlimited hits and client connections - Only a single Manifold GIS license is required per web server machine no matter how many pages or client connections are served.
- No client licenses required - By default, web applications created using Manifold IMS do not require any Manifold software on client machines: all you need is a free web browser like IE or Firefox. Therefore, no Manifold GIS license per client is required. Note: some applications architects may choose to create applications which utilize Manifold GIS software on client machines. In that case a Manifold GIS license will be required on the client machine.
Licensing for Applications Developers
Every Manifold software license is a development environment. There is no need to buy some separate "objects library" because each Manifold software license exposes the Manifold or Radian API. See the Advice for Applications Developers section in the What to Buy page.
Academic Licenses For Manifold System GIS
Under selected circumstances, Manifold will consider making Academic License grants to qualified institutions. For information on this donation program, please visit the Academic Licensing page.
Beta Test Licenses
Beta Test Software: From time to time, Manifold makes beta versions of software available for testing by an extended population of users. Provision of such beta test versions is covered by the Beta Test / End User License Agreement. Please review this agreement before downloading any beta test software that may beprovided to you by Manifold.
Buy Now via the Online Store
Buy Manifold products on the Online Store. The store is open 24 hours / seven days a week / every day of the year. Orders are processed immediately with serial number email sent out in seconds. Use Manifold products today!
Suggestions to improve Manifold software are always welcome. Please see the Suggestions page for tips on making effective suggestions.